4.21.2011

Clean Simply

I love the idea of simplifying my life as much as possible.  Do away with the mental, emotional and physical clutter.  Even when my post doesn't focus on this Zen topic, you will probably see it as a theme through them.  Mother Teresa once said, "Live simply so that others may simply live."  Simple yet profound.

Don't worry- this post isn't going to tell you to get rid of your home or clothes.  Rather, I want to share with you about a couple of new books I purchased (both in the neighborhood of $6!).

clean: the humble art of zen cleansing by Michael de Jong is packed with practical, useful information in spite of its pint- size appearance.  Jong gives you remedies for everyday household cleaning needs such as cleaning counters, tubs, and sinks as well as even bigger task like getting mud out of carpet or removing wallpaper.  You may not be impressed yet since you probably have a store bought cleaning product for each of these needs.

Jong uses only 5 ingredients for ALL cleaning needs: Baking Soda, Borax, Lemon, Salt, and White Vinegar.  Most task only require one or two of these ingredients.  I've tested out several of his concoctions and was delightfully surprised!  I've already made an agreement with my mom to bring her my over 20 store bought cleaning products for use at her store.  I can't wait to have the extra space to store gardening supplies (we have a small house!).

I'll give you one recipe to test out before moving on to the next book (also by Jong).

"Mix one- quarter cup borax and one- quarter cup baking soda to make the best bathroom and kitchen cleanser ever. Add some salt as an abrasive, if necessary" (120).

To my delight, Justin discovered another book by Jong called, clean body: the humble art of zen- cleansing yourself.  I don't know about you, but I find it outrageous what a girl has to pay for a good moisturizer or exfoliating cream. Jong, again, gives you five ingredients to tackle all of your bodily cleaning needs: Baking Soda, Lemon, Olive Oil (really good quality), Salt, White Vinegar.

I tested out his facial scrub this morning and loved it.

"In a gentle, circular motion, apply this homemade facial scrub: a brew of three parts baking soda to one part water.  Rub the scrub in gentle circles from your forehead to your jawline to your chin, taking your time as you go.  Rinse super well to reveal a clean, fresh- scrubbed mug.  No need to towel yourself; just let your skin air- dry" (53).

Jong looks at ways to clean and enhance elbows, knees, faces, feet, hair, hands, mouth, privates (yep), scalp, skin, and even your tush.

Try these recipes for yourself and see what you think.  If you have a specific need that you would like to see what Jong's remedy is for that problem, let me know and I'll see what his advice is.  I know our local library has a copy of the first book (actually I still have it!), so check there first before you purchase the books if you aren't sure you are going to like them.  I know I'm looking forward to simplifying, saving money, increasing my storage space, and having less chemicals in my home!

No comments:

Post a Comment